View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013, 10:53 AM
Adlerdriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 767 Captain

I'll have to second my F15/MD11 friend's opinion.

This:
Originally Posted by yimke View Post
If you are looking to get hired by a regional, do it!. If you are looking for a major, wait the year if you can stay current. The hiring is not in full swing yet and there are plenty of check airmen, interns, flow through still out there!

Even though you have high training, you only have mins for most majors. There are many 10+ year captains of 121 exp that are looking to make the jump.
is really bad advice. You're already waiting close to a year as it is since you're not available until April. Can't tell for sure but I don't think this opinion is coming from a military pilot.

Mike,
Make the jump at your earliest opportunity. You sounds like the typical about to retire military fighter/instructor pilot and your quals are as competitive as the next guy in your position. If you're a normal type bro, you probably have some buds that are already at the airlines that are hiring. Networking is key. Start now, get the apps in, fill all the squares, get some recommendations and let the airlines you apply to know you're available next April. Can't hurt to throw your app at the regionals too. At the very least it'll give you some interview practice and at best it will give you a place to go if your dream airline is a little slow in calling, get you some 121 experience and shows commitment to the career.
Good luck.