View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013, 02:52 PM
libertyrisk
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2012
Position: UAL

Originally Posted by Elvis90 View Post
I applied for retirement on 1 Jul 2010 for a 1 Nov 2010 retirement date. With Terminal Leave (60 days) and Permissive TDY (20 days) I was able to start with Delta on 6 Sep 2010. I don't think it could be done any faster then that.

Delta required that I have proof that I applied for retirement before they would give me an interview.
That's good gouge to know, thanks!

Originally Posted by MikeF16 View Post
I'm nervous about getting out with 3k TT and you're considerably lower. First wave of hiring will be extremely competitive, if you think what you've got can get you an interview then the advice a friend who is a furloughed American pilot applies (paraphrased) 'once you know you are looking for an airline job, every line number you delay hurts you, get out asap'. One class date sooner for him would've been about 5 years less worth of furlough.

So, if you think you can get hired get out. If you don't get a job stay another year until the 3k+ fighter guys, 6k+ heavy/civilian guys get hired 1st. If I was flying and nondeployable I'd have probably waited another year but my scheduled deployment drove this fight for me. I'm scared to death this massive wave of hiring will be just like the last one -- complete BS -- and I'll rot while guys who waited get scooped up in a year or two.
Yea, the competition during the early "hiring wave" is a concern of mine. I could get around ~300 or so hours PIC over the next year but I'll still have less than most of my "competition". I'm just exploring the possibility of early retirement and have a couple months to decide since ~July 1, 2014 would be the earliest I could retire early. I can't go any earlier due to time-on-station requirements (unless I request a waiver).

Good stuff to consider, thanks for the input!