View Single Post
Old 07-28-2013, 01:10 PM
captnmo
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2007
Default Do I need the regionals at this point?

I read someone with a similar situation but here's mine and I want to know if I'm crazy for considering going back to the regionals.

Currently flying King Air's 350's for an overseas contractor. Slightly heavier than 12.5K, glass cockpit, FMS, EFIS, etc. I'm type rated and an instructor for the company. Great money, but time away from my wife and kids sucks. I was furloughed from the regionals in '06 before having kids and a house. I did the temporary full-time National Guard (helo) thing for a while but got back into flying fixed-wing with this gig. Now I have our third child on the way, a mortgage, 4600 total, 1900 Turbine ME Airplane including 1100 at the previous regionals and 650 jet in a CRJ back in the day.

Maybe this is just a bad case of the grass-is-greener, but I'm doubting how far this turbo-prop ME time is going to get me. The question is, do I need to go back to a regional to get more 121 jet time to get me to a major or legacy? Life was bad enough as a regional FO and that was without kids and a house. Are there any other sane, reasonable options for a guy who has financial responsibilities? Or should I just stay put and tell myself the King Air PIC time I'm logging is going to get me hired at say, Alaska, United, Delta, etc.