View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 06:58 PM
Adlerdriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 767 Captain

Originally Posted by krudawg View Post
The industry is full of shady operators and "whoring yourself out" as you say, (short of being a scab of course) is acceptable to me because it's just another step up to your next flying job.
Pathetic. Perpetuating this attitude is one of the things that has helped to decimate this industry over the last 30 or so years. The guys climbing all over each other to get in line to fly an RJ for 18K a year have successfully diminished their own chances to get into the job they're striving to get. It's a self-licking ice cream cone. The only ones winning are the airlines that can farm out their short haul domestic flying to the lowest bidder.

Let me be clear; there are a lot of FBO's and charter operators out there that have the mind-set that "the pilots should be PAYING them to fly their airplanes.
And if no one showed up with their tube of KY ready to bend over for them, then they would have to pay a real wage. Same thing at the regional airlines. Sooner or later these young guys are going to realize that the dream job at the end of the rainbow isn't the one guys like you are making it out to be - and it isn't worth it. There aren't enough good flying jobs out there for every "persistent" newbie to get one if they stick around long enough and hopscotch from one bad job to another.

Most people pursuing an airline career will eventually fly for these operators - apparently, you never did. You were very lucky, to say the least.
They don't have to - if they're not being paid what they're worth, for the skills they possess, then they don't take the job. Pretty simple. Lots of folks are making that choice - did you see hiring bonuses being offered to get guys to take RJ jobs a few years ago?
Yeah.....luck had nothing to do with me not flying for those types. I would never have taken that route - I have to look myself in the mirror each morning.