View Single Post
Old 04-10-2007, 02:31 PM
FlybyKnite
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: B777

The ever-insightful Tony C is right. . .again. . .as always. That's exactly what I meant to say.

I was floored to open the email and saw pictures of the pairings. I said to myself- Self, there are absolutely no excuses now that you've seen what the actual pairing looks like and you should hopefully be able to recognize it in the open time lineup when you see it again and go 'deja vu' that's a DP.

Publishing all the DPs like this will certainly make the email longer, but it removes one more excuse and makes the lazy pilot's job easier. I find it much easier to view them consolidated in an email than have to search through the bidpack (paper or electronic). Because you are right, with Fastbid I don't have to look at the bidpack, except for training months.

I believe the problem is two-fold.
1) Inadequate exposure to the info/pairings: because not everyone gave the MEC a valid email address; they don't check the ALPA website; they don't get the private newsletters. And posting them on a bulletin board in the back room won’t help much either. There could be a link from pilot.fedex.com to a special ALPA page or let's just paste them to the AOC doors, but as before I don't think the company will want to help.

2) Real time identification of DPs once open time is released and guys start making VTO and CIC requests and trading. There are only two solutions here: 1) software, be that a tag on the company website (right, see above), or use a PC program like I have; or 2) the old reliable paper with DP numbers on it.

Well, maybe there is a third-- some folks just don't care.

We cared and stayed informed for negotiations, why can't we care and stay informed now? Perhaps we need an Email crusade to make sure everyone has a Good address on file with the MEC.

Last edited by FlybyKnite; 04-10-2007 at 02:38 PM.