Thread: Military or not
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2006, 01:11 PM
RedeyeAV8r
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Default Military ?s

[QUOTE=mtsupilot09]Hey guys. Some of you know I am a student right now at MTSU (Middle Tennessee State Univ.) I am an Aerospace major with a concentration in professional pilot. I got my private when I was 17, and I'm 19 now. I spoke to a Marine recruiter this morning who came to the aerospace building. He was telling me about a program that they have were you graduate college, go to OCS, and if you qualify, recieve a guaranteed flight school slot. If I don't make it to flight school, I can walk away with no obligation. He gave this program to me in writing. Sounds pretty good. I've always loved the military and almost inlisted in the corps after high school. Has anyone heard about the success of this program or if it sounds like a good? I have always thought that airline pilots made way more than military pilots, but in checking out the pay rates and comparing the two, looks like military is the way to go, at least for the first few years. Anyways, I'm going to the airport in Murfreesboro (KMBT) next Thursday to fly in one of their King Air C90's. They invited me to this orientation flight where I'll fly right seat. Seems like a great opportunity. Let me know what you military pilots (specifically Marines) think. Thanks a lot in advance.

Chandler
I'll take a shot. I am a former Marine who went though the "PLC program" which sounds like the one your Marine OSO recruiter was pitching.

The question you have to ask yourself what do I want to fly and how badly?
I went to Officer Boot camp twice (for 6 weeks each) between my Soph/JR year and my JR/SR year at college.All I ever wanted to fly was Fighters. I did not have aspirations of becoming an airline pilot back then. I had the "Need for Speed".

It was a good program, although the 12 weeks of Boot camp sucked and the 6 months of Basic Infantry Officer Charm School (called "TBS" for The Basic School) was not my idea of a good time.

That being said, I had a Aviation Guarantee, which meant I was guaranteed entry to flight school ( no guarantee I would fininsh or get Jets). You had to earn that. Flight school wasn't a cake walk but if you want to fly you can't buy better training. Plus you get the shot to fly airplanes most people can only dream of............................an added bonus is you might get to payback Osama and his buds or other scum for their mis-deeds.

What is the active duty committment after you fininsh flight school? For me it was only 3 years, but I re-upped. Hind sight that was a dumb move but I have no regrets.

If your only aspiration is only to become an Airline Pilot and you want to join the Marine for the "Free" (the get their money out of you in other ways) training, I think you should go another route, Embry Riddle or Purdue or Southern Illinios U or Middle TN and get a CFI job until you can work somehwere else to build time and ratings.

But if you want to fly some kick Ass jets ,the F-18 of even the Hover Jet (aka Scarrier) go for it.

Plus , Chicks dig Marines..............................