Thread: Silver Airways
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2013, 05:24 PM
mexipilot84
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: Gear Handle supervisor

Originally Posted by pilotandmech View Post
I am quite aware that you can get hired, but not make it to the line, that's why I asked what the washout rate is. How many hours did the pilots who did make it generally have? I never said anything about quitting my major job, either.
When I was first hired in a class of 18 pilots we had 2 washouts for the 1900. Both had thousands of hours and were going to be captains. Both washed out at different points. One was a for FE and couldn't make it thru sims. The other did not want to cooperate and graduate.

The hours is a negligible item as you can have thousands of hours and never have the fundamentals. If you come in with a good attitude and actually take the effort you can make it through their training process. Silver definitely is one of those space shuttle training outfits that want you to know at what torque a certain bolt sets in, so attention to detail is crucial.

Tony who was doing the Saab ground school is gone and he did an awesome job. I don't know who does it now and if it's still taught in a practical manner for a pilot and not a rocket scientist.

Like others said if you successfully interview FL bases will be extremely hard to get. You might be drinking brown water in Greenville or freezing your cojones in AOO. Then again they could put you on the 1900 which means less pay still a tough commute.

If you want to stay in Florida checkout IBC or cape air.

Good luck