Thread: Silver Airways
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2013, 04:48 AM
tom11011
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2013

Originally Posted by Bassman1985 View Post
They're like the Mayor in "Jaws." They are going to to ignore this particular problem until it swims up and bites them in the ass. Unfortunately for all of us in the trenches, it means our paychecks are in jeopardy. They think that there is no need to raise pay or move to hub basing in order to retain and attract new pilots, and are in fact demanding concessions from us. They have said the only way they will move to hub basing is if we "buy" it from them through major concessions to existing work rules. I don't know what they think they will accomplish with this tactic, but what they WILL accomplish is to chase away the people they need to move their metal. Very bad for business if an airline can't find people to fly its planes.

But what do I know? I'm just a line pilot.
Well, I suppose you have to look at it from the companies perspective. Obviously outstationing does save them money or they wouldn't be doing it. But there must come a point when outstationing is no longer cost effective or all the airlines would be doing it. You have to discover what that tipping point is for Silver in order to understand it and make a competing business case for the practices demise.

It very well could be that the company has already decided that centralized basing is the way to go, but first lets extract what we can from the pilot group.