View Single Post
Old 11-17-2013, 02:21 PM
gooddeal
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013
Position: Wicked Artsy, Moderately Fartsy

Originally Posted by strikeagledrivr View Post
You wise old airline guys dust off your crystal ball.....for us military folks new to the 121 airline gig what's your advice....

I'll give you a current perspective from someone who is one step ahead of you leaving the military for the first time:

Location, Location, Location.

You don't want to move around any more, you don't want to fly to get to work and you don't want to share beds and rooms anymore than you already had to in the military. You see the pay scales are always shifting and there are always unions and carriers either on the rise or in decline...no one carrier is going to be perfectly protected. I've noticed that morale and perspective changes based on seniority and life experiences so there isn't one company where everybody is happy or free of rotten employees.

Location, Location, Location.

Your junior line number will mean last choice of vacations and last choice of flying lines (and even reserve lines) so why further constrict your lack of choices by losing time with commuting and sitting reserve outside your house? One of the more notable differences I've become aware of is after you run your last checklist, you are done. No office visits, no hanging out, no nagging list of requirements or videos to watch. Your time begins as soon as you are done at the aircraft...why give any of that time up? There are projections and estimates of when people can move domiciles or upgrade but why gamble? You also want your next interview to be your last one. Set your work up in a location that meets all of your other life goals and remember:

the people who survive this industry when it constricts are the people at the top...you don't get to the top without time served.