View Single Post
Old 11-27-2013, 01:36 PM
ghilis101
La Familia Delta

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: B-717 FO / C-17 AC

Originally Posted by hjs1971 View Post
I've said it before...if you are think AA's pay rates of 2018 are 100% guaranteed to be there in 4 yrs, then you haven't followed this industry very long (why does everyone assume SWA is getting no pay raises in the next 4yrs and is only hiring 250 this year??? I can't predict the future but I bet they get a pay raise or two before 2018 and I bet they hire more than just the 250 this yr). Do the math on the first 4 yrs of pay on a 737, I bet SWA pays significantly more. What if SWA has a base you can drive to and AA doesn't? There are more "ifs" associated with AA (if this happens and if this happens then I will be the highest paid 777CA 10 yrs after being hired). I think with SWA, you have alot less "ifs"...sure you may only be a 737FO in 15 yrs but for some, that's ok if you know it's with a company that has shown nothing but stability for 30 yrs, AA can't say that. If you think Doug Parker is a better CEO than Gary Kelly, AA is the place for you. I agree, the stagnation at SWA will probably be much worse than the "projected lack of stagnation" at AA but my crystal ball says go with whoever hires you first, has a base you can drive to, and who has shown some stability. If you must fly widebodies internationally, AA is your only choice. Choose wisely and not based of the advice of people on the internet. Let us know how the choice worked out 30 yrs from now...
Exactly. In the end it comes down to what works for each individual and their unique situation they may be in. Generally speaking though, SWA doesn't sound enticing for new hires. Its a great deal if you already have 5+ years at SWA, but an existing SWA pilot is getting a much different experience than a new hire in 2014. And yes, 250 is probably all they will hire, because of the AirTran pilots are coming over 'sans' their 717 fleet. SWA will have a nice cushion of pilots for a while unless their growth plans are more ambitious, at which point I would say that puts them at the same risk level as AA.

At the same time if you ask an current AA pilot (pre-2000 hire), they'll tell you to run away as fast as you can and stay away from AA forever. They've had a raw deal, and I am very sympathetic to the horrible treatment and concessions they've had to endure. But AA new hires in 2014 are going to have a vastly more positive experience once theyre off first year pay. Its going to be sunshine and rainbows for them for at least 5 years.