View Single Post
Old 11-27-2013, 02:26 PM
OscartheGrouch
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: B737/Capt

Originally Posted by ghilis101 View Post
Exactly. In the end it comes down to what works for each individual and their unique situation they may be in. Generally speaking though, SWA doesn't sound enticing for new hires. Its a great deal if you already have 5+ years at SWA, but an existing SWA pilot is getting a much different experience than a new hire in 2014. And yes, 250 is probably all they will hire, because of the AirTran pilots are coming over 'sans' their 717 fleet. SWA will have a nice cushion of pilots for a while unless their growth plans are more ambitious, at which point I would say that puts them at the same risk level as AA.

At the same time if you ask an current AA pilot (pre-2000 hire), they'll tell you to run away as fast as you can and stay away from AA forever. They've had a raw deal, and I am very sympathetic to the horrible treatment and concessions they've had to endure. But AA new hires in 2014 are going to have a vastly more positive experience once theyre off first year pay. Its going to be sunshine and rainbows for them for at least 5 years.

I hate to admit it, but I have been in (or associated with) this industry for too long. Sunshine and rainbows? Five years from now we will see. With the current hiring situation even I would have to agree that AA looks better. I might even make the decision to go there instead of SWA. The same decision was being made by my fellow aviators in The late 80's and fortunately for me I wanted to be at SWA. Was I naive? Probably, but it worked out a lot better for me than those who went to AA, DAL, et al who were furloughed.

There are no guarantees in this industry so please spare us all the "I know what I am talking about" arguments.

As usual many of the airlines are planning on the wonderful revenue continuing to support their future business plan. Promises and contracts are made based on events that may or not happen. Even SWA better get ready for the next economic downturn. Somehow when the money and passengers dry up everybody wonders why. It will happen and planning for it is wise. Good luck with those who have a decision to make. Just saying!

The Oscar