View Single Post
Old 04-22-2007, 01:55 PM
Dan64456
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Question Considering pursuing flying career...

Hello everyone first let me start off by introducing myself... My name is Dan, I live in the Philadelphia Area (born and raised); currently work as an IT guy for a real estate company... I am 22 years old.

Now I know that there probably have been plenty of posts with people asking the same kind of questions that I am about to (Given my situation, would you do this? Etc...) But I did manage to read some of them already... Well here is my situation. I have my Associates degree in IT and have been working in the field for 2 years now... I make ok money for a guy my age, but certainly not a lot... My current job is the best one I have had to date, but I still feel some kind of void in my heart. I've learned a lot about the corporate world in my recent experiences in the field, and don't really like most of what I learned. Most people are hoity toity's always trying to one up each other and most are back stabbers, etc... Most of the execs are straight up liars and will do whatever it takes to get more money in their pocket... And a lot of people are way too sensitive with certain topics and I doubt that they really are that way in real life... They just act it to play into the corporate game. The politics are overwhelming and I feel like I am back in high school again sometimes... Of course there are positive aspects of the job, but I feel that these need to be pointed out because they outweigh most of the good about it... Long story short, I no longer want to spend 40 hours a week of my life under fluorescent lights worrying about the most trivial things and being complained to and about from people who have no idea about anything outside of their narrow view point. They complain, point the finger and things like that hoping that their problems will get solved faster, and it’s just amazing how some people can make so much money and not know how to use a computer or see outside of their box... lol. I do like the job some days... some people in my department are really fun to work with and I enjoy going out to lunch in the city to different places and things like that, but I know that I don't want to be doing this for any longer than I have to. Especially given my situation. I am single, live happily with my family (parents and brother) still, have all the freedom I will ever need as of now... But for the past 2 years (when I started working in corporate) my soul has felt so drained. I am dead tired almost every single day, even weekends... from forcing out of bed in the morning to stare at a computer screen and solve problems like that all day... I need more than 2 days to sleep in, i am not a morning person. Before I worked this job, I had plenty of energy, and a lot less stress and I slept much better at night. So I think its time to make a move while I am still kind of young. My company would pay for part of my 4 year degree if I wanted but I'd have to stay a year after I completed it for them to pay... Not only that, but they would only allow me to take 6 credits per year, and that is just too long. I will not waste years of my life being unhappy and bored just to save a few dollars on my college degree... The 9-5 M-F schedule is killing me as well... I'd much rather have a day off during the week, or even do 3 - 12 hour days, because I can't even go shopping without sitting in traffic. So basically I was considering Delta Connection Academy... I have 10 hours logged toward my private as we speak, and I am going to finish it before I do anything... But I was just thinking what if I left all of this behind and started something that I could really see myself doing? I'd be making about what I do now after about 2 years of flying with a regional... Would you take this route in life if you were me? I don't need to be rich; I just want to enjoy what I do and have enough to survive somewhat comfortably on... And right now I have no baggage or large bills...

I appreciate your time to read and help answer my questions!

Look forward to talking with you all...

Dan