View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013, 05:52 AM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
I will try and be brief. I was hired to fly a C208 and Citation. In the interview in front of 5 people the CP said I would be flying both C208 and Citation and I would get an SIC type then one year later the PIC type. The CP also explained how much it cost for them to send me to FSI in both planes. I took the job moved 2000 miles and you guessed it... no type rating.
You say that you were hired by a state government and I don't know the work rules there, but in my gov't agency, there are no guarantees about what aircraft you will be flying. The plan may be to send you to initially train in one aircraft and through changes in equipment, needs of the agency, fiscal concerns, etc... those plans may very well change.

I asked about it and was told it was too expensive by the CP although he knew the cost amd 5 other pilots go to FSI for recurrent.
In the last two years, has your agency not come under some pretty severe budget constraints that might have changed the picture? Sequestration has certainly changed the ball game at my job.

I expressed my frustration with the CP and HR and basically said I was lied to just to get me to take the job and they never had any intention to type me in the Citation. Nothing has been done.
Your HR might be different than my HR, but they would have nothing to do with this type of complaint. Are you sure that you are barking up the right tree here?

I work for a goverment agency, been here two years now and all I do is sit at a desk and have been assigned data entry work and other duties not related to flying. I have to be in the office 40 hours a week even when not scheduled to fly. I feel like the guy on Office Space my office is in the basement and I do have a stapler. Last year I only flew 89 hours. I found out that the CP got a pay raise if he would fly the line too hence I think thats one of the reasons I was never typed.
Again - your state job might be different than mine, but from the others I know in state/federal flying jobs, most are not JUST flying jobs. My job is a 40hr/week, 80hrs/pay check type of job that happens to include flying. If you are paid in this manner, and not by flight hour, I hope that you were smart enough to expect *other* work when you applied for, interviewed for, and accepted the job.
WOW! 89 hrs in a year surely isn't much for sure. What does you state job entail. What is the general purpose of your job?

Has anyone had a similiar experience and if so is there any legal recourse ?If so how did ot work for you ? I have done some looking around and in other jobs people have filed suit based on violation of truth in hiring/being deceptive to get someone to take the job.
JNB suggests that a union might help here, but in my experience a union would not be able to help. Aircraft assignments would be based on agency operational needs. It is my opinion that you can either wait for things in your current job to improve and hopefully you will get that type rating in the Citation or you can throw your cards on the table with a 'or else' statement, then be prepared to back it up with walking out the door if they don't budge.

Hope you find a recourse that will satisfy all.

Last edited by USMCFLYR; 12-17-2013 at 09:07 AM.