View Single Post
Old 01-05-2014, 11:57 AM
SempreInVolare
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2014

rickair7777-

Thank you for your insight.

I will continue to work on ratings under Part 61 in my spare time. Once the summer rolls around, I can definitely at least fly on both Saturday and Sunday, though I have some doubts about after work.

I can see your point in terms of weather being an issue for instructing as well as learning, so I'll keep that in mind in terms of planning.

In the mean time, I'm single and in my early 20's, so I can be flexible in regards to location, lifestyle, etc. When it becomes financially feasible without going into debt, I'll see about finishing up the remaining ratings full time in a more temperate climate. Whether I'm able to do this will largely be driven by finances, I think, since your point about avoiding debt resonates with what other pilots have said, and is something I have to take seriously.

Also, I have considered the ANG and USAF Reserve, the problem is that I wear glasses/contacts and don't meet the uncorrected vision requirements. I could have corrective surgery done, but the Air Force requires a waiting period afterwards of about 12 months, during which time doctors evaluate your healing process. I f you don't check out, no dice. Moreover, I've heard of some pilots who undergo corrective surgery but have their eyes naturally change shape as they age. Their vision becomes un-correctable on account of scar tissue from the procedure, and they lose their medical endorsements. So its something I would still consider, but if possible, I think civilian training and work experience a more feasible route.

I do have one more question:

You mentioned in your post that quality flight time is the fastest and only path to success. What constitutes "quality" flight time? I know that the CFI/CFII/MEI route is a viable option into airline flying, as well as working at smaller airlines and other flying establishments, but what about when I'm going for those positions? Are those ratings enough in and of themselves to be competitive, or is it generally expected that you have the ratings in addition to more flying experience? This might go back to your notion of senior captains being removed from entry-level career matters, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Nantonaku, CRM114-

I agree in many respects about the mill mentality, because it does seem wasteful to pay more for what is, without question, very "quick" instruction. My concern right now is primarily in going for ratings in the most efficient way possible, while still getting quality instruction and being competitive professionally.

Flying for a summer or two in the bush in Alaska would be *awesome.*