Old 02-02-2006, 05:35 AM
gringo
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2005
Position: Under the Frog

As mentioned before, without a BS degree, your options are limited once you try to progress past the regional level, wether it be haulin trash for one of the regionals or boxes for a FedEX feeder or whatnot. I can't tell you how manycaptains I've flown with at ASA who were desperately trying to finish their BS, so they could move up the career ladder. Most of them simply didn't have the time anymore, due to work or family commitments. Don't shoot yourself in the foot- GET THAT BS NOW, before your life takes over.

Secondly, are you single? Is your vision 20/70 or better? Then why the heck would you not consider the military? If you're starting off now with zero or low time, you're going to spend a minimum of 3-5 years before you get a decent paying job (unless you're lucky or network very well- anything is possible then). You're going to spend countless thousands to get yourself to a position that pays somewhere between 16-25k first year. You're going to eat Raman Noodles for a long long time, and debt will be your new best friend.

Maybe you're wealthy or your family is and this dosen't matter. I don't know. But if I had the chance (and 20/20 vision!) I'd go the mil route! Your flight training is FREE, they pay you a good salary, and you have some really good times. I know, I was enlisted in the Marines for 4 years, it was a blast. And you don't have to go hardcore, either. Join the Air Farce and you'll be living the life of a drunken frat boy for the next 8-10 years! And then you can jump right into the majors! Why not skip the 8-10 years of toiling at the CFI level, the crappy Night Cargo level, the decent Night Cargo level, and all the headaches that accompany it?