View Single Post
Old 01-20-2014, 07:06 PM
Hawker Driver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2010
Position: Toilet warmer.

Originally Posted by GWBic View Post
Yes. 4 hours total as of right now. I am well aware that flying with my experience so far would be a death sentence. And stupid illegal. Even in a C152. But by the time I'm ready to get Part 91 SIC typed, I will have gotten my PPL, CPL, CFI, CFII, and MEII. Still considerably less hours than others flying in the Global birds, yes. But acceptable according to the FAA.
Your naïveté, from your last sentence above, is understandable. Not meant to offend. I don't think any insurance company anywhere can cover you for something like that no matter what the boss is willing to pay them. We're not talking a little old jet here either. What is acceptable to the FAA is also a far cry from the real world.

Although 91 is different from a regulatory standpoint, the multimillion dollar risk involved still remains. It compels insurance companies to require pilots with a great deal more than just 500 hours to even be considered for SIC employment at 91 flight departments like ours with larger, newer jets.

Also, heaven forbid, should your captain be called for his final flight out west while you are both flying somewhere in God knows what, the insurance company has to know you can handle any eventuality. That is asking a lot of someone with insufficient background.

Finally, the schoolhouse is another obstacle. If you think they just give SIC Jet ratings like candy, they don't. I know of one who attended with 5,000+ hours, but all of it in little planes and with around 100 hours multiengine. He didn't even finish his Bombardier SIC school. They sent him home. The boss had to eat the $20,000+cost.

Still, I'd be really excited too if someone else was going to pay for all of my training!!!! I'd get the ratings as quickly as possible at some place like ATP or Pan Am. Get the CFI's, build the time, & your job will still be waiting for you.

Good luck!

HD