View Single Post
Old 03-20-2014, 04:37 AM
Fins Up
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: Passed out in my hammock

BlindBentBingo - Thanks for your perspective and your support. As the saying goes, "It's just business". Dave hires his outside experts to negotiate for him and do what they think is best for this company. There is no reason we as pilots shouldn't do the same thing.

P-3 Bubs - Thanks for the kinds words. I wanted nothing to do with any of this stuff when I came to jetblue. I'm a military/republican type after all. Unfortunately, the more I pay attention to what the company tells us versus what is reality, and also as I learn more about this industry, I learn that we really need a better way of protecting ourselves whether from the company or industry forces.

I've heard it said, "All I ever got from ALPA was a free magazine." That is such b.s. it drives me nuts. ALPA is responsible for or contributed to (just a short list):

- Precision and full approach lighting systems
- Grooving and friction treatment for runways
- REILs and markings
- Runway electronic or vertical guidance
- Radar approach coverage for all airport terminal areas.
- Runway distance remaining markers.
- Procedures for use of CVR tapes or transcripts during court proceedings.
- RVSM
- Improved taxiway signage to help prevent runway incursions.
- Volcanic ash avoidance
- KCM

That is just a short list. ALL airline pilots, include JetBlue pilots, benefit from these things. Maybe, in addition to availing ourselves to ALPA's services, we should also start contributing to our profession.