View Single Post
Old 03-20-2014, 05:18 AM
full of luv
Banned

Joined APC: Dec 2009
Position: Narrow/Left Wide/Right

Originally Posted by P-3Bubba View Post
Ok, lets take a look at this, briefly.

Management says that they are out to protect us and grow the company as a stand-alone entity. With the lucrative Boston and New York markets, plus our relative small market share, jetblue is going to be part of an merger or acquisition event. Theres a plus for CBA & Union.

In the event of a transactional event, I think that Mckaskill-Bond applies, the acquiring company needs our pilots and jets and we all keep out jobs. There's a plus for the PVC and DR. We keep our 1.9%

The negotiation process for the CBA is going to be horrendous. We all know this. Plus for DR & PVC.

The floater items that keep the scales of justice swaying back and forth are:

-"Code Shares" with Hawaiian (who sells tickets to JFK on Virgin America)
-Health Care Disaster
-Additions to Dependability Clauses and other items to our FOM (No PVC Collab)
-Changing of the "peer set" during last PEA negoatiation

The knowns that ALPA sucks:
-TWA- AA merger
-Legacy bankruptcies and treatment of "bretheren"
-SWA and AirTran M&A event
-1.9% of my 13% PEA raise for Lee's Steak Dinners

Fins, I value your opinions and I would vote for you on the MEC if you so chose to run. I have to say that the majority of people I interact with are pro-ALPA. Keep me penciled in as a "fence sitter".

-Bubs
Bubs,
Your ALPA sucks list is a little misguided in my opinion.
TWA- Don't have JB go BK and have it's assets bought by another non-alpa company, very little leverage in that instance with the laws that were in place. ALPA apparently had hopes of bringing APA onboard ALPA as well, but the situation was what it was.

BK treatment of "bretheren"- Not sure what you are referring to except that the implosion of the retirement systems. Welcome to the 21st century where DB systems are being replace by Defined contribution systems all over the county in all kinds of industries (except government). BTW, BK sucks, again, not much leverage when the company can go and get your whole CBA thrown out for being ahead of all your competitors.

SWA and AT- Again, ALPA has very little leverage except with the law. In the end, AT pilots VOTED in that agreement either in fear or happiness depending on your take. AT ALPA could have been more militant and still be in court over the situation just as an inhouse union could have. With no union, there would have been EVEN LESS leverage in negotiations with SWA/SWAPA. It turns out in that case that it was 2 vs 1.

Agree that you pay for ALPA's national presence, but in the end they are the only voice of airline labor with any credibility to combat some of the real threats to our long term careers.