View Single Post
Old 03-21-2014, 06:24 AM
Fins Up
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: Passed out in my hammock

Originally Posted by cencal83406 View Post
One thing that hasn't been covered, as far as I can tell (outsider perspective)...

You CAN keep the "culture" that you want at the airline. Despite management scare tactics, ALPA can and does work with management when it's appropriate. ALPA puts its foot down when it is appropriate as well. It all comes down to the right folks in the representative positions at LEC and MEC level.

Do you want a Spirit Airlines relationship, or a Delta Air Lines relationship? Something in between?
So true. The only reason that the pilot-management relationship will immediately turn toxic is if management causes it. The flame-throwing guy on bluepilots who just wants to cause havoc is a small minority. Most of us supporters and OC volunteers want a good, solid working relationship with management. In fact, if I ever get the chance to ask Dave or Rob a question before or during the vote, it will be this: "The type of relationship the pilot group has with management as we move forward will largely depend on management. What are you going to do to prevent that from turning sour and creating a hostile environment?" I know what I'm going to do - do my best to keep "Barney" from holding any position of influence.

There is a reason that the pilot groups at every other major airline out there is unionized. Management is under pressure to produce returns for their investors (and bonuses for themselves) and they take it out of labor's pockets. It's just business and jetblue is no exception.

Lastly, I want to retire as a jetblue pilot. I want the company and all us "crewmembers" to do well. I don't want to merge or be sold. With that in mind, I have absolutely no doubt that voting YES is the right thing to do.