View Single Post
Old 03-25-2014, 04:36 PM
KC10 FATboy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Legacy FO

Originally Posted by SyGunson View Post
Please can you be more specific which facts this does not match in your opinion, rather than offering a blanket dismissal?

The final manouvere sent by transponder just after passing waypoint IGARI was a turn west to 040 degrees:

The last location tracked by Flightradar24 was
Time UTC: 17:21:03
Lat: 6.97
Lon: 103.63
Alt: 35000
Speed: 471 knots
Heading: 40

If an electrical problem developed then that would explain a turnback southwards

If the electrical problem led to a fire in cockpit O2 lines then that would explain sudden incapacitation.

Please be more specific which facts this theory does not match?

INMARSAT Doppler tracking confirms now that the aircraft flew a steady course at a steady altitude over 30,000ft
I think your theory is plausible. I just read the Egypt Air 667's accident report. That fire quickly developed and spread throughout the cockpit. Those pictures are shocking.

Additionally, Boeing knows of 29 known cockpit fires caused by electrical arcing in the cockpit windows. In many of those cases, flames were present. One American Airlines jet used two fire bottles on a window fire during an Atlantic Ocean crossing.

I heard on the news that ATC queried the crew several times about what altitude they were at prior to the handoff. Either they were lying (knowingly switched transponder off), or there was a system failure already in progress.