View Single Post
Old 04-28-2014, 09:37 PM
JamesNoBrakes
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: Volleyball Player

Originally Posted by Yoda2 View Post
The story makes it sound like he went a great distance after the accident, continuing to his home field; not really that big a deal considering the Sea Fury. So far this is a strange deal though. We should know more in the next few days. These guys are very experienced aviators and all around good guys, and have grown up with airplanes since they were little kids. This is very sad. I knew their dad, Frank; even helped him do some structural repairs on one of his Sea Furys many years ago... Frank flew those Sea Furys like he was wearing them and he only had one eye...
I'd think that would be a big deal IF he knew that he had a mid-air. There are countless places equipped for emergencies to land at along the way. Ione is way up in the middle of nowhere relatively, with few services, about 10x farther than any other reasonable option. Concord comes to mind for one, but Oakland, Napa, Rio Vista, and countless others come to mind, again, IF he knew he hit another plane. The least any reasonable pilot would want to do is land as soon as practical to check for damage. I realize it's totally possible for a pilot to not realize there was a collision though.