View Single Post
Old 05-22-2014, 04:42 AM
chi05
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2011

Originally Posted by nakazawa View Post
I think FAR 121.471 (d) & (e) apply. Interpret that any way you want, but if the FAA thinks it's an FAR violation, FedEx will self report. FedEx FOM Appendix B applies. Our CBA 12.C.1. also applies.
It's legal from an FAR standpoint if the training occurs after a trip. 121.471 only applies towards flight duty assignments. This is from the ALPA flight duty guide:

The FAA has consistently interpreted this provision to be a flight-time limitation, not a duty-time limitation. Its purpose is to insure that a flight crewmember is adequately rested prior to flying as a crewmember in scheduled air transportation. Therefore, this provision is violated only if the crewmember is used in scheduled air transportation without having had relief from duty for 24 consecutive hours during any seven consecutive days.
The following are some of the frequently asked questions concerning this provision.
Q-38. If I am scheduled to fly for six days, can I be scheduled for training on the seventh day?
A-38. Yes. An air carrier is permitted to assign a crewmember to training or other non-flight (duty aloft) duties without first giving 24 hours free of duty. However, before the air carrier can again use the crewmember in scheduled air transportation, you must be given 24 hours free from all duty.
I almost had a similar situation happen to me and I was wondering if CBA 12.C.1 applies to training. My schedule originally had me sitting reserve for a few days followed by one day off and then training. I was sitting standby on my last R-day when they called and said I was being launched. When I looked at my schedule I saw the trip had me getting back on my day off without a 24 rest period anywhere prior to my training. It turned out to not be a factor because they called back a few minutes later to say they no longer needed us, but I was wondering if they would've had to drop my training.