View Single Post
Old 02-08-2006, 09:00 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by MikeB525
I'm working on IFR right now. According to my CFII, the safety pilot can log the entire flight total time (in the category and day/night), and the actual time that your friend is under the hood you can log as PIC. As for cross country, if it is a cross country then I think you get cross country time as well. If this is correct, here's how you could log it:

It's a cross country flight and the round trip is 3 hours. Your friend logged 2.7 hours on the hood. I believe you could log it as:

Total time: 3.0
PIC: 2.7
SEL: 3.0
Day: 3.0
XC: 3.0
PIC XC: 2.7

I think thats they way you'd do it.
Close but not quite. Since this aircraft is single pilot, you can only log that time that the other pilot is actually under the hood (2.7). You can log PIC, day, XC, night, SEL etc., but only the hood value. You cannot log landings or instrument approaches unless you actually fly them. If you go into actual IMC, your buddy is no longer under the hood, he's in actual, so he logs actual and you log nothing. Also, he has to log the name of his safety pilot (you).

SIC time can ONLY be logged in an aircraft that is type rated for an SIC. Sometimes people log SIC when flying 135 ops in a single-pilot plane because the 135 cert requires two pilots, but even that's pretty iffy.

If you log that extra .3 in some but not all categories, it will throw a huge red flag when an airline adds up your log book. They have a real quick & dirty way of verifing your logbook accuracy...
Day + Night = Total Time
SE + ME = Total Time

If this stuff doesn't add up, then they will really start to dig...

Last edited by rickair7777; 02-08-2006 at 09:04 PM.