Thread: Spirit of NKS
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2014, 05:55 PM
skybolt
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005

Originally Posted by ManFlex View Post
Red/green and the 29 hour cap lay solely at the feet of management. Your frustration is misdirected if you blame the union for those issues. Unless of course you attribute the red/green fiasco to the removal of certain management pilots from our seniority list. That had to happen by the way.
Not being an OT flyer, and having been a commuter up til Dec 12, and being senior enough to get an acceptable schedule which worked for me without post award manipulation,……….. I'm not certain just WHAT happened in late 2012 regarding Red/Green because I wasn't really trying to trade or drop. Can you detail what happened that lead to Spirit changing the amount of green days?

As for the management pilots, you seem to have inside info so tell us why they had to be removed from the seniority list. I agree that they should have been placed in the proper seniority, but am not sure just why they had to be removed.

Back in the day, ALPA encouraged members to move both up and down. Something about who they are ultimately loyal to I believe.

Finally, regarding management pilot flying. Way back in 2006, your MEC signed two LOA's that should have set a precedent for allowing management to fly. I wonder why that precedent hasn't been followed these last four years?

For those wondering, the language in our then current contract was very grey regarding management flying. In one section it provided for management to fly a certain percentage of flying, or at least it provided for management withholding a certain amount of fly - ostensibly for management pilots to fly. In another it said that anyone flying a Spirit airplane had to be on the seniority list and in another place it said (like most other contracts) that a pilot could not fly out of seniority. In 2006 the MEC set a precedent that Spirit would give us something for every management pilot that was allowed to fly. That is, by name every non-seniority list pilot had his own LOA. And all of those LOA's gave the pilot group something with no give on our part. Essentially, the management pilots were allowed to fly but they were restricted from acting as reserves or from flying any OT. ALL flying they accomplished must be taken from assigned flying. *** If the assigned pilot was Captain, he/she had to remain on the trip but was guaranteed a Big Front Seat (first class size). FO's were released from the entire trip, 24 hours prior to show time, and owed the company nothing. No time available, nothing. It's been eight years, but I seem to remember that the three hour reserve time was the flip side of allowing the DO to fly.

This was the case under Contract 2003 with LOA's. I don't understand how we came to allow multiple management pilots to fly out of seniority and without a seniority number. What happened?

***that was a huge win. Setting the precedent that the management pilots could not act as reserves/count toward proper staffing was huge.