View Single Post
Old 06-03-2014, 02:17 PM
emrickman
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2011
Position: B737 IAH

Originally Posted by Sunvox View Post
During my career I have commuted from Chicago to New York, New York to Chicago, New York to San Fran, Portland to San Fran, San Fran to New York, and finally 5 years from New York to Washington. In every case I was following my wife's career choices because my job allowed that, but ultimately I knew I would make it back to not commuting and working out of the New York domicile and living nearby.

If you really have a choice I strongly urge you to live in domicile. If you like Nashville then consider working out of Washington. If you draw a circle 2 hours around IAD you will find an amazing selection of lifestyles and many places with low taxes and low housing costs relative to other domicile choices.

Finally any commute that uses UAX will be a nightmare. If you must commute then look for a location that has mainline service preferably on UAL and preferably more than 3 flights a day.

Personally I found commuting to be absolute hell, and I would do almost anything to avoid it, but we each have our reasons for making the choices we do, but again if you really have a choice I recommend you listen to the voices of experience and do NOT commute.
What he said +1.

I moved to ORD And IAH after initially commuting to both. Do it.

Your life is infinitely simpler w/o commuting and you will have more trips to choose from and more days off. Your wife will thank you.

If you come to TX I'd be happy to recommend some places to live.

Eric