Old 06-13-2014, 05:45 PM
NEDude
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007

Originally Posted by dc8dude View Post
Ah yes, I was a victim of that particular campaign...had been flying there almost 4 years with absolutely no problems with medicals when we were all told we had to go to Beijing for the brain scan, it was done in assembly line fashion, month and a half later I was told I had had a stroke and shortly after that I left China(of course I was ok to fly the flight back to base). On my return to US had all the tests done and there was absolutely no indication of stroke or anything else, who knows who's scan they were looking at.....like everyone says, go at your own risk.
I am thinking I just heard your story. By chance did you used to fly for USA 3000 and Sichuan Airlines?

I have a friend who failed the medical here in China after being told he had heart irregularities. He went back home to Sweden and told his doctors there what the Chinese had found. They ran a whole battery of tests and concluded the Chinese were full of BS. He promptly had his EASA class 1 medical renewed with no issues. I know of another guy who had his medical issuance delayed here in China because of something in his blood test. He checked with his doctor back in the states and his doctor was floored the Chinese would have an issue with it. I cannot remember the name of it, but it is a hormone (I think) that is elevated in people who exercise regularly. This guy was an avid runner. His American doctor said it was an indication of very good health and of a healthy lifestyle, but the Chinese quacks were not happy with it. Even though I passed the medical I am about 15 pounds overweight. I loved having the Chinese doctor tell me I was too fat as he puffed on his third cigarette in the 15 minutes I was in his office...

Last edited by NEDude; 06-13-2014 at 06:16 PM.