View Single Post
Old 06-15-2014, 05:14 PM
OnCenterline
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2014
Position: 737 FO

Curious what you are insinuating here. If you are paid a 75 hour guarantee for not flying on reserve versus flying 100 hours a month on the line how much difference in money are we talking? I am seriously asking if anybody has the figures.
I work for a legacy carrier, on second year pay. Difference between a line holder crediting 85 hours and reserve is $1500 a month minimum, not including per diem or international over-ride. On third year pay, it will be $3000 a month. I personally choose reserve, because I get much more time at home that way....and because now, I can afford it.

I choose to not commute so reserve is almost tolerable at a regional airline.
Living in domicile makes a huge difference.

What he said. I am not trying to argue. Just trying to show there are two sides to the coin and this is the route i choose to take. I don't quite understand why everyone is deadset on a major. If you want to make tons of money or have a family to support by all means do it. But being young and single and only 1 mouth to feed i think 60-100k will work out just fine for me. Sorry on centerline. Didn't mean to dissect your post. Just wanted to take advantage of it.
The problem with the regional sector is that they have no control over there own product or destiny. That alone is reason enough to get on with a major. Don't get me wrong, financially, I was comfortable at Comair. Granted, we were wholly owned for a long time, but the lost autonomy from the purchase by DAL changed everything. When someone else is calling the shots, you never know what will happen when. Further, if you want more options overseas (not for everyone, I know, but it is for some), time in larger equipment helps.