Old 06-19-2014, 08:14 AM
Adlerdriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 767 Captain

Originally Posted by ghilis101 View Post
Kalitta is submitting a bid for the 767 flying yes. DHL will award the bid I think by August some time. I want to see that flying awarded at no less than ABX pay rates. They fought hard for their pay and it would be wrong to undercut them.
I probably don't understand the situation.
Wouldn't the whole point of DHL taking bids on their flying be to get a competitive (possibly lower) offer? BTW, is this a frequent issue? How often do these poor guys have to sweat a re-bid of their flying?

It seems like there is a huge disconnect in what you are saying. Undercutting the ABX rates is the goal of everyone involved except the pilots. Bidders want the business, so they're going to make their offer look good. DHL wants their stuff flown for as little as possible. Of course you (and every other pilot flying for companies bidding) don't want the rates undercut. That would mean whoever gets the contract might have to take a pay cut or some other concessions.

If Kalitta did get the contract and undercut the ABX rates, do you guys have any say? That seems a bit above the pilot's decision options. You'll fly whatever business your company is able to bring in.

Seems like just another version of the standard airline whipsaw act to me.