View Single Post
Old 06-28-2014, 05:31 PM
ATCsaidDoWhat
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2009
Position: What day is it?

Originally Posted by C5nwhaleguy View Post
Jay of course we are good and most of us enjoy spirited conversations, me included. No worries!

As for reserve for 15 years, plan on being treated as a reserve until we plug the many holes acknowledged in this contract are closed hopefully in 16. Company wants flexibility we should have rules that are commensurate and compensate with give and take. Company is allowed to run all over the contract yet we do nothing but hold the line and file grievances. If they want AQP and the like bend them over for collective abuses. make it benefit us exclusively for once, jeez have they not bought enough stock back! I know once we have 100% solidarity we'll hold the cards...really!?

Tired of the excuses for being outfoxed that is all. I wish all those well trying to get here and for those elected to maintain the balance.
You misread what I wrote.
If what you want is a 3/4 schedule, reserve for 15 or so years...then this isn't where you want to be.
The reserve comment was meant to reference legacy carriers. You really don't have any basis to make the claim about it here other than an assumption about negotiating timelines. The contract has a 270 day early opener and I doubt you can point to any contract that has as many years as you allude to close.

Assuming that this is the first contract you have worked under, it's important to understand that first contracts (and the JCBA is a first for the combined groups)...fall into one of two categories. They either address pay or work rules. Substantial pay increases were made and some work rule changes were attained under the arbitrator. Which means the next agreement builds on the pay, while further tackling work rules and loopholes that are found during the contract period.

While no one likes having to follow the grievance route, it's the law under the RLA. The other option is no legal redress and allowing the company to do even more of whatever they want.

Something everyone here should keep in mind as there is one political party who wants to strip you of even those meager protections and allow the company to move the jobs offshore.

For anyone who doesn't get that, ask the senior guys about a little place called AACS. And what the union did...and how long it took...to end it.

Bottom line. If the union hadn't stopped it? You wouldn't be here.