View Single Post
Old 06-30-2014, 09:23 PM
M20EPilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2012

I did it, and am glad so far.

12 years in the cubicle... now 2nd year as a full time pilot, on my 2nd regional airline. I still have a long road ahead to get back to a decent salary.

First off, do this ONLY if its your true passion and you can't see not flying for a living. Anything short of that type of commitment and passion will, I think, lead to disappointment.

Pros:
- The deep satisfaction of achieving your dream. Really, that's it. I'll list a few more, but there it is, right there.
- No more meetings
- No more managers
- No more cubicles
- No more M-F 9-5 (or more hours... you're on a salary, right?), for the rest of eternity. You will still work, and be AWAY from home more hours, but it can be a very nice lifestyle

Cons:
- You will take a gigantic pay cut
- You will be away from family for extended periods of time
- Weekends, holidays, birthdays, etc are history
- Little to no employment security
- Did I mention the pay cut?

My only advice if you decide to go for it: If you decide to do this, you must use your software expertise and salary to pay for your ratings in the most expedient and cost-effective way possible WITHOUT racking up debt. Don't feel the need to rent the best equipped G1000 panelled airplane. Rent the clapped out ugly POS that is the cheapest for miles around (or do what I did, and buy an airplane to build time.. but that is a whole 'nother can of worms entirely!). Don't hand in your 2 weeks notice tomorrow and go down to All ATPs or where-ever and sign a note; your degree and presumed employment is a huge asset, and I would suggest using these as long as you can until you are on your feet with your first full-time flying job that will let you build time rapidly while getting paid (probably not a lot..) for it. The trade-off here, as the guy above noted, is that timing is everything.

Last edited by M20EPilot; 06-30-2014 at 09:38 PM.