View Single Post
Old 07-12-2014, 04:36 PM
DennyP
Wannabe

Joined APC: Jul 2014
Position: PA-28 Student
Thumbs down Career questions/adv for a young pilot?

Hello everyone!
I am 14 years old. When I was about 8, I flew on a 767 from JFK to BUD. I dunno why but this trip definately sparked my interest in aviation. Ever since then, I've wanted to be a pilot. So this year, in April I started researching the career. Learned about all the hardships, yup furloughs, regional pay equivilent to fry cooks, etc. But I love flying so much. Ive read everywhere that despite the hardships, those who truely love aviation love their job. So ok off with the backstory

I'm now 14, in May 2014 I started modular training for my PPL at the local flight academy. My father knows the owner (who is Albanian just like us) so I get some special treatment, free sim time, got treated to lunch. Okay enough of that but my instructor agrees: I'm very good at flying. The sim time has payed off. I have about 10 hours already in a small piper, have done cloud flying, ILS approaches, following VORs, etc.

So obviously I love flying. Would I like to work at a major? Of course! Would I like to fly for netjets/bizjets? Of course! Would I like to fly my small prop Piper for the rest of my career for a good pay? Of course.... but only if that good pay is from flying
Alright sorry if I'm making you grumpy pilots angry with my cheeryness, I just really love flying.

So if all goes well, I acquire my ratings, would I be able to CFI at 18? Like I said, my father and I are very good friends with the owner of the academy. So I do part time along with college I plan to get my degree a bachelors in Aerospace Engineering since I have 2 family members who work in that field at Pratt & Whitney, and it'd be good for a furlough.
So after this hopefully i'd have close to 1,500 hours.
So what would I do? Work for a regional until 3000-4000 TT and apply for the majors? I am very willing to be an expat if the US jobs are just terrible. So by my time (mid 2020s) Ill assume
The 777x, MAX, NEO, and 787-10 is in new service, 747-400s are being retired
So hopefully otto hasnt replaced me!!

Alright so if youre still awake from my snoozefest, thank you for reading. So, any advice?