View Single Post
Old 05-21-2007, 06:09 AM
slaveship
Line Dawg

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: 777 Captain LCA

Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
FEDEX is operating under a 121 Supplemental Certificate. For the most part I understand this means that we don't have dispatchers, just "flight followers" and that we must have an alternate regardless of weather.

There's a move to make FEDEX operate under Flag rules for Domestic ops. This would mean that GOC would have to operate as dispatchers and also the removal of mandatory alternates which, in turn would lessen the fuel loads and save money? I believe UPS is now operating under Flag rules for Domestic ops.

What are all the differences and ramifications of the different certificates? Thanks.

You have stated the big issues for the most part. According to 2 pilots who were on the committee appointed by PC and chaired by DV, our GOC guys are already licensed anyway. Most of them. That will be minimal pain. I was told that if the weather at our destination is better than 2000/3, we would have no alternate fuel. The pax guys do this day to day. What concerns me is the MEM operation especially on a south flow. I have been really scoosh on fuel on clear nights with holding from center for upwards of 1 hour then given 30 mile finals at MEM when landing south. We will all have to be vigilant on fuel. I was also told that FDX tried to do this before but Capts were adding the alternate fuel anyway. This is surely just a bit of info. I am sure we have many on our seniority list who have operated under flags ops so there should be tons of corporate knowledge available on this board.