View Single Post
Old 07-24-2014, 01:10 PM
shroomwell
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: Boeing, left side
Default Leave Kalitta for Atlas?

Why or why not? I'd be interested to hear any and all opinions from those who work at either place (and anyone else, too).

Yeah, they're both ACMI carriers. We all know what that means and what the schedule entails. We know that our lives are ruled by crew schedulers and that things change on a minute's notice all the time. "Be flexible!"

Regardless of whether Connie's shop is viewed as a bottom feeder, we do have SOME decent things going on.

--Our insurance is dirt cheap, and good (Blue Cross). After 5 years, there's no cost at all for it. So obviously the cost would be significantly more for a family at Atlas.
--We're truly home-based with no other bases in different parts of the country (or world, as Atlas had in years past with Stanstead). In general, you get a ticket from home on your last day off, or your first day on if you live somewhere close enough to make it into position per the contract, and you're returned home on your last day on. Sometimes even 1-2 days early. There's no imputed tax to worry about.
--Connie has very little, if any, debt. As well as multiple revenue streams with the airline, Oscoda maintenance shop, Kalitta Turbines, leasing company, the race team (I don't know if they actually generate any revenue for us, but maybe). Obviously a huge plus when the economy takes a dump. He can generally afford to park a plane if there's no work for it at the moment, without worrying about keeping up a lease payment on it. Those of us at Connie world always hear the "Yeah, Atlas is loaded up with huge debt on their planes and expensive lease payments, etc. If the economy goes, they are going to be in a world of hurt" etc. etc. True or false?
--And of course, except for our usual oddballs, the crews are for the most part outstanding and professional. Very few if any cowboys that I've ever flown with.

There are also plenty of negatives too, of course, not the least of which reside in the upper echelons of management in their individual fiefdoms in Building 1. Plus the usual "the company is owned by one guy, he could close it down tomorrow; Atlas is run by a BOD (is that good or bad?)" argument.

As always, the crystal ball broke years ago. I'm just over 50. Less than a decade with the company.

Thanks for all replies!