View Single Post
Old 05-23-2007, 08:02 AM
TonyC
Organizational Learning 

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner

Originally Posted by Falconjet View Post

Tony: The association signed the contract. They need to see that the loophole, if you will, has had a very negative impact on a fairly large number of folks and that maybe we need to get clearer wording in the next contract on base transfers.

The association (FPA at the time) signed the contract, and the members endorsed it with a vote. 87% of voters said "Yes." I was part of the 13% that voted "No", so do I get a different deal? Of course not. The Contract was ratified by the membership, so, for better or for worse, we live and die by it.

The loophole cuts both ways. When I was an ANC FO and bid back to MEM, junior pilots were awarded, trained, and activated in MEM before I was transferred. Should I have sued for the cost of commuting an extra three months? Those pilots junior to me got what I wanted before I got it. Unfair! Unfair!

You want to know why I didn't go screaming to the Contract folks at the union to demand they grieve my case? Because I read the Contract, and saw that what The Company did was legal. Fair or unfair is irrelevant at that point. The Contract was and is clear on the issue.

If you think there should be clearer or better or alternate language in the Contract the next time around, I encourage you to make your voice heard. Just be careful what you ask for.

In light of the facts, it's unfair to characterize the union as having "rolled over" on anyone. That simply did not happen.