View Single Post
Old 08-12-2014, 05:36 AM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

One of the #1 guys around my timeframe wanted to follow in his 3-star father's footsteps and fly Cobras like his dad did in Vietnam.

Now....back on topic of Fractional -vs- Airlines.
They certainly seem like two different animals in the career path for the most part. Again, I'd rather fly large cabin corporate than airlines - but the trouble of finding those gems of a job in that world is even more remote than ending up in a grand position within the airlines I think - now I say I think because I am reiterating what I hear from peers in both worlds and from reading these boards.

We just had a guy leave my office who has been there flying for over 20 years I think for a very sweet corporate job flying a -605 up and down the east coast. We don't see to many people moving on so it was a surprise when he announced that he was moving on; but I also know that he was unhappy with his recent move to the traning depratment off of the international flying and has butted heads with management in the past - so maybe he was looking for a change, but so far he is really enjoying his new job. Another guy is his exact same situation has been pining about going back to United lately but has yet to make the move.

It seems to me that you would look at the lifestyle (QOL), the type of flying (like the destinations), the degree of hands on you want/or don't want (flight planning/logistics/etc...) and even the equipment (do you want that G-V or a -767) and then make your move towards whatever path would give you the best chance of reaching your goal. In another thread someone said 'If you want to be an airline pilot - be an airline pilot.' There are obviously exceptions and people move to different communities from different backgrounds, but once again I don't worry too much about the outriggers of the field - but rather look at the majority and the best chance of success probably comes from following the tried and true path to whichever seat you eventually choose.