View Single Post
Old 08-31-2014, 08:43 PM
Nextlife
Slowing to holding speed

Joined APC: Feb 2013
Position: middle seat

Originally Posted by KF5OVP View Post
So I'm renting 152's from a fairly large international flight school to build time. One of the policies there is that I have to have to use pilotage (lakes, cities,etc.) for my cross countries, in spite of me having a iPad with a external GPS.

Personally, I find this to be a hassle because IF the iPad did fail, I would still have a paper sectional for backup. I just don't see the point in wasting time using a plotter and calculating MH for even a short 20nm flight...not to mention I would be on FF and could ask ATC for a radar vector if it came down to that.

I just want to see y'alls view on this.
Pilotage is flying off the sectional using lakes, cities, etc to figure out where you are on the map. As far as my understanding of the term, you're fine navigating map to ground without having measured courses. That being said, makes sense if they are going to have a blanket policy for all cross countries (short and long) to make sure renters demonstrate they know where they're going and how much gas they're going to burn etc. Gotta think that flight schools make their rules for the lowest common denominator in renters and not the experienced pilot.