View Single Post
Old 09-10-2014, 12:14 PM
Pirot
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2014
Position: Freight Dawg

Originally Posted by Rotator View Post
I'm a former regional F/O who may be getting back into the industry in a few years. With only about 850 hours TT in my logbook, I need to get myself recurrent and instruct for a little while (ironically, to build enough flight time to qualify for a job I used to do).

Once I get my instructor ticket, how hard (or easy) is it, typically, to find a CFI job? Am I going to be able to canvass a few FBOs and find a gig, or is it going to involve sending resumes all over the country? Just curious as to what other have experienced in their instructor days. Thanks in advance!
In between part 135 jobs I went back to flight instructing at Hillsboro Aviation in Hillsboro, Oregon. They train pilots for JAL, KAL and CAL. I was assigned five Chinese students for instrument training and flew 125 hours a month. Before entering part 135 I built time teaching at the University of North Dakota and Daniel Webster College. Big flight schools like the three where I worked are nice as they are part 141 and provide you with a syllabus and students. I spent a year teaching part 61 and barely flew. I had to get a job at the FBO to support myself. jsfirm.com is a free jobs website with lots of CFI jobs advertised. Good luck.