View Single Post
Old 09-11-2014, 01:10 PM
deltajuliet
Living the Dream

Joined APC: Sep 2013

Originally Posted by Firsttimeflyer View Post
And starting pay was something like $15-18 an hour, after you paid for training...
Not saying that everything used to be peachy, but after a bunch of guys I've met complained about making $18/hour in the 90's, I did the inflation math and found out that was really $28/hour.

Most everyone will agree that flight training was substantially cheaper back in the day, and all those jobs flying checks around are practically non-existent now. I'd rather have done that than instructed.

I don't mind all this. If others are willing to overcome the barriers that slowly and surely have been added over the years, then welcome aboard. If not, good, you should only be here if you really want to be. I've met many people who chose majors and careers for the paycheck and didn't know the first thing about them going in. I don't want to fly with someone like that.

With these added barriers to entry, I've got a feeling that 20 years from now pilots won't be a dime a dozen, nor will they be treated that way. Fine with me.