Old 09-16-2014, 05:38 PM
Tpinks
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2014

Originally Posted by buccirj View Post
Now all I want to do is go to a professional flight school and the only way to do that and use the VA to pay for all the flight training is at a University program such as UND, UVU, Upper Limit Aviation, Dade County, Palm Beach, and other university professional flight programs that are VA approved for Post 9/11. So that means I will have to take a bunch of the same collage classes or close to same as I did at ERAU. But that's ok, don't care, just want the flight training to get me to MEII and possibly a Jet CRJ rating or King Air endorsement.

What do you all suggest? I'd like to hear the good, the bad and the ugly of each and also personal experiences if you have them first hand.

Thanks and fly safe!!
RB
Are you restricting yourself to Florida? If not, then I would say go to none of those schools, they are over rated and over priced. We had a kid come from Embry riddle who had over $100k in debt after two years and hadn't even finished his Instrument Rating. Meanwhile, I had an associates degree in piloting (CSEL/CMEL) in two years and $30K.

You do not have to go to a four year institute to get the VA discount. In fact, you don't even have to go to any college at all to receive it.

At the Community College I went to (that specialized in Aviation), they had multiple people go through the program through the VA.

The FBO I worked and trained at (that was contracted for the flight instruction for the college) also had trained people off the street that were not in the college through the VA. This Flight School however had its own part 141 certificate.

I have seen other companies also advertise that they do the VA paid training without any college association. I believe any company can do it, it is just a matter of understanding the paperwork and process of doing so. It took our company a few people to go through the VA before they figured out just what exactly needed to be done prior to starting the process.