View Single Post
Old 10-24-2014, 03:45 PM
ShyGuy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005

Originally Posted by cardiomd View Post
Sorry to hear about the tragedy.

Why do you say "ATC messed up" - do you have inside information? It is not clear to me what happened, and any number of scenarios (cirrus below TPA or heli at TPA) seem to be consistent with the incident.

I am cleared to land all the time without traffic in sight, usually with instructions (cleared to land on runway, heli traffic will remain north of associated taxiway).

It is a stark reminder that delta provides sequencing, NOT separation services.
Agreed. Her job was to separate and not sequence. She told the Cirrus to maintain altitude until turning base leg. It seems at FDK the pattern altitude for fixed wing props is 1,000 AGL and for helos is 700AGL. The articles I've read said the helo was doing pattern work. So if the Cirrus was suppose to maintain 1,000AGL until turning base, and the helo was maintaining 700AGL in his pattern, then the question becomes who wasn't where they were supposed to be? Looking at midairs in traffic patterns, the curplrit is usually the new entrant to the pattern. It's too early to say for sure of course, and that's what the investigation is for.