View Single Post
Old 10-28-2014, 08:25 AM
Adlerdriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 767 Captain

I agree that there were lots of factors in this accident. High on the list was the lack of visual feedback on Bonin’s flight control inputs, as you mentioned.

However, inexperience was absolutely a HUGE part of this.

Originally Posted by PurpleToolBox View Post
I don't believe this crash is much about experience because pilots with experience also make mistakes and kill.
This logic is a little flawed. So, I put my 4 year old in my car and ask him to drive around the block by himself. He crashes. Using your logic, his crash is not due to inexperience because someone else with 30 years of driving experience crashed in another neighborhood?

There's plenty of flying entities who put 300 hour pilot wonders into complex aircraft and they're not crashing airplanes.
I think this is more of a testament to the aircraft/automation design than to the “entities” choosing to put such pilots in their aircraft. If the event script stays in the heart of the envelope day after day, of course those pilots aren’t going to crash. The automation is reliable and modern aircraft have advanced to reliability levels with miniscule failure rates. It’s what we can expect from those 300 hours wonders when event diverge beyond their limited experience that’s really in question.

The Captain was experienced, and from the time he entered the cockpit there was plenty of time for him to analyze and correct the situation.
So, it sounds like you saying that an airline Captain is essentially operating single pilot. Every airline I’ve worked at has emphasized teamwork, CRM and all the jets were certified requiring a two pilot crew. There has to be trust and confidence in each other. If, as a Captain, I can’t even assume my FO has a basic level of aerodynamic knowledge and flying ability, then he’s not touching the jet. How’s that going to work on an augmented, long haul flight?

In my opinion, this crash is a referendum on the Airbus flight deck design.
Absolutely a factor, yes.

……..and perhaps the training program at Air France for "Company Babies."
Now it sounds like you’re saying inexperience is a factor in this accident after all. I guarantee their training program was a factor. Not for some lack of syllabus content or instruction. Rather, simply by pursuing the goal of an ab-initio training program and putting minimally experienced pilots into their jets. They are rolling the bones and hoping the Captain’s experience, the high reliability of the aircraft and automation will keep these newbies out of trouble for their careers.