Old 10-29-2014, 05:27 PM
Zero13
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Default Endorsement for Mike Arcamuzi LEC26 Block 11

Fellow ALPA members:

"Having departed an MEC officer's position several years ago, I have consciously tried to remain distant from the politics and drama of the MEC. Being relatively senior and definitely older has aided that effort. It's just a fact I don't have as much to lose or gain as a First Officer with thirty years to go.

That being said, recent events have prompted me to pay more attention and care more about the composition of our MEC. I believe it was, is and will always be a good idea to look back and glean lessons learned from the past successes and shortcomings of MEC's and committees. But recently we seem to have been on a path similar to efforts made in the 90's in which union representatives assumed management would rightfully recognize the value of the FedEx pilots and instinctively want to reward us in good faith. After a time in the late 90's, we all began to realize we were already past that point.

For better or worse, a good while back, I think we crossed the point at which a relatively small but critical element to FedEx Express (the pilots) was going to be compensated on good faith. It seems to be part of the natural evolution in many companies that as they grow larger, more levels of management develop to contain costs. There are notable exceptions, like perhaps Southwest Airlines, in which managements act to mitigate the situation but unfortunately, many times employers and employees grow distant and, at times, adversarial. Contract negotiations can act to only further the deterioration. I believe that's where are today.

Because of our situation, I will be casting my vote for Mike Arcamuzi as the Block 11 representative. I will do this because of the mental archives Mike posses of lessons learned long ago, his intellect and ability to analyze critically, his integrity in everything I've ever seen him do, and most importantly, his unequaled energy and passion for improving the condition of every FedEx pilot on the property and those yet to be hired.

Mike has no aircraft-specific agenda, no parochial interests, will ALWAYS speak his mind (ask his bosses), and will never let you down. Rumors and selective memories to the contrary, the MEC Mike sat on was pretty high functioning. It was comprised of a hugely disparate group of people from different union backgrounds and perspectives. Mike was a standout on that MEC for all of the above cited reasons and his ability to work with just about anyone.

This unsolicited letter is not "against" anyone. Having occupied those spaces, I have nothing but respect for those who work on committees and the MEC whose intentions are to help the pilots. Rather, I am for Mike because I saw him at work very close up for years under all kinds of circumstances. Mike is nothing if not a pilot advocate; I believe it's in his genetic code. I hope you elect him to the MEC. You would be well served. "

Respects and Out
Wally Huggins