View Single Post
Old 11-13-2014, 11:21 AM
Cubdriver

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: ATP, CFI etc.

Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
There is no reason to NOT have AoA data...
Not as technology marches on and costs go down for the gear to display AoA data now. But in the past they were seen as out of the range of basic piston aircraft because of the fairly expensive hardware required, and the lack of viable approval basis. Why add thousands to the cost of a Skyhawk or Seminole when nothing it does really requires accurate AoA data.

Originally Posted by Yoda2 View Post
I agree with the responses, and thanks. It just seems for GA pilots it is being overly hyped as some big safety solution for the putt putt's.
Just a safety aid. I actually worry that light aircraft have become overly complex with glass cockpits, and the data seems to suggest that too much electronic stuff in front of them makes the average pilot less safe. I used to teach in glass panel planes and I could never solo anyone in less than about 25 hours which was almost all spent getting them to run the avionics to a basic level. I could solo someone in a steam gauge airplane in about ten hours, really even less if they were a good stick.