View Single Post
Old 06-06-2007, 08:04 PM
xpigx
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2007

Hey hey. Your friend is in the same boat as me. I am also 27, no flying experience, wanting to get into dusting. I have always wanted to do that since I was a kid, watching them fly beside and over my house.

So about a month ago, I decided to change careers (from a school bus driver to an ag pilot). I found an outfit about 10 miles from where I live, and another about 20 miles.

The first one I went to, the gentlemen was very very helpful. He said he would mentor me, basically. This is how he said it goes.

At 27 years old, you are at a good age to start for two reasons. First of all, you are pretty much over that young "I-am-indestructible" phase and less likely to do stupid things (for the most part). Second, alot of dusters right now are aging and close to retirement, and there will soon be alot of openings, as most pilots want to fly the big planes (BSJS?). He said that it will take at least 3 years to get into, including getting your licenses. You will need to go to your local outfit and try and get on doing anything they want you to. Working the ramp (mixing and loading chemicals, refilling and washing planes, etc.), doing errands, whatever. AT the very least, make it a habit to just hang out at the place for 2 or 3 days a week. He also said it would be the best idea to join AOPA, NAAA, your state AAA and Compaaass Rose, and attend the conventions. These conventions are where you will start your network. Ag pilots are a tightly knit community, and if you cross one person, you will wipe out most of your network.

He said to train in a regular plane, if possible . . . not a tail wheel. He advised this just in case you ever need it, or decide to drop ag piloting. When you are done with PPL, get a restricted (limited?) commercial license. People on here have argued against this advice, and I agree with them. Go ahead and get the instrument and commercial to help build time, better your skills as a pilot, and . . . you never know when you are going to need it. I personally am going to go for CFI as well, just in case. He said after you get your licensing done, the find a school that does tail wheel, or even ask someone at the establishment or at a convention, if they can sign you off (8-15 hours training, no check ride). The gentlemen I spoke to told me he would give me my endorsement. An Ag license is also needed, but should be given to you (with training)if you work at the facility, in any position.

He also told me, if I can afford it to try something like AgFlight to get your training, but they run between $45k-$60K. There are only 4 schools in the nation that offer ag pilot specific training.

Carolina Thunder
AgFlight

There is also one in Louisiana and one in Tennessee. You will make the most money in TX, LA, MS, GA, and TN.

He said it is a long process, and a grueling one, and you have to be in it for the long haul. It is hard to get into, but once you are in, you have very good job security. Pay where I am at in TX is $50k-100k a year (more or less $100 a field).

I hope that helps your friend out a bit. I will relay more information as I get it.

Edit: Also a good read

Last edited by xpigx; 06-06-2007 at 08:20 PM.