View Single Post
Old 11-25-2014, 05:52 PM
JamesNoBrakes
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: Volleyball Player

None of the aircraft mentioned so far as "wing droppers" drop a wing in a power off stall when coordinated. I have noticed with each of them that just before the stall, almost no right rudder is necessary to keep the "ball" centered, except, if you look at the ball trying to do this you'll never react fast enough and the will will drop because you had too much right rudder in or in rarer circumstances, not enough. This is only just slightly before the moment of stall, after lots of p-factor at the high AOA, but it's allowed me to bring the yoke back to the stop while in a power on stall with the wings level while the nose drops down. It doesn't like to stay like this though and IMO you have to look at the horizon and see the yaw, rather than the ball.

I think AOA would be extremely useful, and the whole point is we don't know what joe Cherokee will do, loan his plane to a new pilot, lease it, etc. I don't have much to add here, except that teaching the concepts in this thread is much easier said than done. The AOA would help immensely. We could probably get by with far less stuff in the cockpit if the training was adequate.