View Single Post
Old 11-25-2014, 06:20 PM
cardiomd
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2009
Position: Seat: Vegan friendly faux leather
Default JNB and wing-droppers

I think what most people (including me) mean is if you do nothing when the plane stalls it will roll off on one wing, keeping coordinated requires very active rudder input which is part of the coordination exercise, which as you said is changing due to rapidly diminishing AOA and p factor effect. If you remain coordinated it will keep nice straight and level, and even if one does nothing and it rolls off through the stall break it won't continue to spin.

In a 172 though you could have your feet on the floor through the power on stall and it won't be that bad, NOT true with the 182 which will have a very asymmetric stall and come out significantly off heading with a kind of quarter to half-turn incipient spin.

I have done quite a few stalls under the hood but never any intentional spin under hood. Agree with stalls ball still works but it is really hard to be perfect. All aircraft I've ever spun have had no AI as they would likely tumble anyway.

As many other people noted though there is a difference between people that think about this sort of thing and those that don't, or perhaps those that feel that AOA is an advanced concept that needs to be "taught". Also the ones that are most at risk probably are not spending their free time talking about nuances of aviation.