Thread: UPS info
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2014, 09:30 PM
whalesurfer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2013

Originally Posted by Swedish Blender View Post
Is this your only airline? Just curious because if anyone disparages someone from coming to UPS instead of a legacy, that's the only reply some people say.
A very valid point SB. I respect your and others dissenters' opinion, I truly do, but isn't it true that some people will disparage our company no matter what others believe? It goes both ways and you know it.

I'm not a kool-aid drinker. You and I and many, many others here gave up tons of money, sick time, vloa's, rdg's, and other b.s. to prevent the furlough. ..and yet they furloughed anyways and to top it off hired scabs to replace the furloughees. ...and yes, any mgmt pilot hired during the furlough fits the definition. Think about it, line pilots getting laid off while manglers getting hired. We were not on strike BUT our brothers and sisters were being laid off. In other words they were bringing in replacement pilots and therefore the scab label for those hired during that time frame applies!

..and yet, I think it's a good place to be at. Yes, it sounds very contradictory. I'm not saying that because I believe it's a paradise on earth but because most other places are "as good as it gets." Will things be as great at the major pax carriers in 5-10 years as they're now? Maybe or maybe not. I bet on not, and it's just a bet. As an additional bonus I truly enjoy the camaraderie here and the really cool people I get to fly with. We're a unique group and the HR dept has done a great job when it comes to hiring, that's my honest opinion.

So in conclusion yes, I do think it's a good place to be at but it could be absolutely great. The only way to change it is from within. We might succeed in improving this place or we might not.

When I was looking for an interview gouge and help with getting hired here there were numerous pilots on this board who offered me their insight. They gave me all the info they had while keeping things real. They let me decide without fear mongering and scare tactics. Simply put they trusted my judgment.

I'm grateful to them and today am trying to pay it forward. I trust the potential new-hires' judgment, they've all been around the block and can decide for themselves. I won't sugarcoat it nor will I pretend this is a pilot's heaven. I firmly believe they're smart enough to decide for themselves.

Last edited by whalesurfer; 12-08-2014 at 09:43 PM.