View Single Post
Old 12-08-2014, 09:54 PM
DC8DRIVER
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: 747

Originally Posted by Talon1011 View Post
Right on the money, DC8. Guaranteed money in hand is worth a whole lot more than imaginary money floating out there in the neither regions. And to the folks heading our way, please understand that these conversations are nothing more than what goes on at any airline. We are pilots and things are NEVER as good as they could be. I've flown on Delta airplanes and listened to complaints. As always, look at all the data and choose the career path that will fulfill you. Earning a livable wage and being content with life is worth a lot more than making a ton of money and hating to get up in the morning. If you can do both at the same time, so much the better. Choose what is right for you.
Just to be clear, I really like my job. I like the pilot group. I like the kind of flying we do. I like the equipment (although you should NEVER take a job because of a plane), I like the intelligence with which the executive management grows the company, and I like flying freight - boxes don't b*tch.

What I hate - and I don't think that's too strong to use in this situation - is a contract that has many, many serious flaws. And what I hate even more is that the company is so greedy that they have to dig far below this weak contract using underhanded and contractually illegal means to extract even more money, time, and productivity from an already overworked and underpaid pilot group.

In 2013, Atlas pilots flew to 430 airports in 124 countries, many of which were first time operations into a particular airfield. We fly four different variations of the 767; 200 & 300/pax and freighter. We fly 5 VERY different versions of the 747: 400 freighter, 400 BCF, 400 pax, 400 LCF, and the -8, often switching from one variant to another to a third on subsequent legs. We have flown over 750,000 passengers including VIP's, heads of state, troops, fans, and pilgrims. And we fly cars, planes, bombs, and all sorts of toxic crap all over the world.

Delta pilots fly vacationers in only one variant of the 747-400 to 8 cities. Their captains are paid $60/hour more than Atlas pilots and the FO's are paid $40/hour more. Their work rules are far, far better and they have a real retirement that you can live on (Atlas has NO retirement plan).

So come to Atlas if you want to use it as a great stepping stone on to a "real" airline job. Or come to Atlas with your eyes wide open and be prepared to fight tooth and nail for the next three or four years for a decent compensation package. Either way, it'll be an adventure.