View Single Post
Old 02-16-2006, 09:37 AM
ryane946
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: FO, looking left
Default Boeing is downright dominating

Downright dominating.
I consistently look at Boeing numbers VS. airbus, and the facts are unmistakable.

Boeing dominates the long haul market. While Airbus barely squeeked by Boeing in orders last year, Boeing's sales were almost twice as high. Why? Because a 777 costs a lot more than an A320. Airbus got creamed on the A340 and A350 while Boeing's business was booming for the 777 and 787.
A340 has 4 engines --> More maintenence, more fuel burn... Not as good of a jet as the 777

The 787 is an amazing aircraft that takes commercial jets into the 21st century with a SUBSTANTIAL reduction in fuel burn, noise, operating cost, etc... The A350 is like any other jet built in the 80's and 90's. Plus the 787 is due to be delivered in 2008, VS. 2010 for the A350.

As far as the A380 and 747F, Airbus has more orders than Boeing, but this is not very important. Why? Boeing took an existing aircraft and made improvements ---> Low research and development costs!!
Airbus started from scratch and made and expensive new jet. Lots of R&D costs. Have they even sold enough aircraft yet to recover those costs. I have my doubts about mamouth jets being sold in the future. It seems almost as economic to have 2 smaller jets. My opinion.

Now I know that the A320 may be beating the 737NG recently, but I want to point out one IMPORTANT FACT:
Over 6,000 Boeing 737's have been order, and they represent over 25% of the WORLD's commercial jet fleet. Just this one aircraft.
Now don't tell me Airbus dominates this market!

Boeing has lost ground over the past 5 years, but it still dominates the market. If EADS was not subsidized by European countries, Boeing would further dominate the market. The playing field is not level, and yet Boeing is still doing fine.

I bought Boeing stock about 2 1/2 years ago and it shot up from $32 a share to about $72 a share. And business is still booming.

Last edited by ryane946; 02-16-2006 at 09:42 AM.