View Single Post
Old 02-16-2006, 12:15 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by rh84
Hey everyone,
I have been reading all of the forums and I have learned a lot of valuable information from you all. I am hoping that some of you would be willing to offer me some advice for my individual situation. I am 21 and a junior at the University of Pennsylvania. I have 38 hours TT and am about to take test/checkride for my private. I am studying business at Penn, and I really don't like it and I know I want to fly. I would definitely like to eventually get to a major carrier, and can tough out the costs/low salaries on the way to get there. I noticed a lot of you said it would be necessary to have a 4-year degree to get any further than a regional airline. I will have a 4 year degree in Economics (nothing to do with aviation) next year. I am considering places like RAA after graduating Penn, but I really haven't looked much into it. Would I need more education in something dealing with aviation? What would be a good route to take from this point? Many of you are very knowledgeable in this regard and I am relatively clueless. Any advice you could offer would be appreciated. Thank you.
Addressing strictly education ( as opposed to flight training) the 4 year degree is key...some regionals and all majors require it (OK there are always a FEW exceptions).

A master's degree (in anything) is helpful at the major level because
1) Majors are VERY competetive.
1) It helps set you apart as an outstanding individual.
2) Most of the military pilots who you will be competing with for the job have a masters because the military encourages it and pays for it.

For a civilian pilot, getting your flight training and regional experience quickly is more important, BUT if you can get a masters on the side or are almost there now, by all means do it.